Otley Town Council has 15 councillors, who each represent one of five town council wards.
The five wards are are Ashfield (4), Danefield (3), Manor (3), Prince Henry’s (2) and West Chevin (3). The number of councillors for a ward reflects the number of people who live in that area.
There are two town council vacancies at the moment, one in Ashfield and one in Danefield. The Labour town council candidates for the by-election on May 6th are:
- Richard Davies for Danefield
- Lucy Nuttgens for Ashfield
Lucy is also standing as Labour’s city council candidate for Otley and Yeadon – read more about Lucy’s priorities as both city and town council candidate on her own website here.
The town council is responsible for :
- The Core – home of the Town Council and an information point for residents and visitors
- 10 allotments sites with over 250 plots
- the public toilets in Orchard Gate
- Gallows Hill Nature Area
- a Community Development Officer who supports local community groups
- bookings for the Buttercross Stall in Market Place and The Core for community meetings and events
- the Maypole area opposite the Civic Centre, which can be used as a community space for small outdoor events
- providing the town centre Christmas Lights
- supporting a Mayor and Deputy Mayor in an annual calendar of civic duties.
The Town Council is consulted on planning applications in the town in an advisory role. It can comment on plans but has no powers to approve or refuse them. This legal power rests with the local planning authority, Leeds City Council.
Apart from managing services the Council works with numerous partners on projects. It is responsible for implementing Otley’s Neighbourhood Plan. It runs the ‘Consolidated Community Fund’ providing community grants for local organisations and the’Investing in Otley Fund’ to encourage community infrastructure.
Elections for the town council are held every 4 years, so the next full election will be in 2023. When a town council seat becomes vacant because a councillor decides to step down then a by election is held for that seat.
Otley Town Council is based at the Core in Orchard Gate, near Otley bus station.